Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dollar Deals at Target & Walmart

Even though I am on Summer Vacation, I can't help browsing the Dollar Spot at Target and checking out the deals at Walmart for things I can use at school.  I found some nifty items this week to make some number sense activities.  (Hurry to your local store - these things may be in stock there, too!)


Before:
I was walking past the picnic stuff in Walmart and these little plates caught my eye.  (Most people would think of them as a way to keep the beans from soaking their hot dog bun.  But, I instantly thought number bonds! when I saw them.)  The patriotic necklaces were a few aisles over.    


After: 
I made some number cards, cut apart the necklaces and I have a Math Center!

Before:
I found these items in the dollar spot at Target, not knowing exactly what I wanted to do with them.  Below is a photo of an activity made from the coasters, sticky notes, and burger baskets.
After: 

I wrote numbers on the sticky notes and glued them onto cardstock to make cards.  Using the coasters as counters, students can practice a variety of number sense skills as outlined in this  Lemonade Stand Freebie.








4 comments:

  1. Great finds! I think I'm on Dollar Spot probation. :) Every time I'm checking out they say-are you a teacher?

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I know what you mean. You can always tell who is a teacher when looking at the Dollar Spot. :)

      Delete
  2. I am glad I am not the only one who saw those plates and immediately thought number bonds. Love the use of the stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - you know you're a teacher if you see number bonds when browsing the picnic supplies! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...