Friday, May 3, 2013

Five for Friday - Number Bonds Edition

I'm in a Linky mood tonight!  I am now linking up with Doodle Bugs for another fun linky. I love to visit all the great bloggers who link up, and my "following" list is growing.  (Hint, hint... If you follow me, I'll follow you.  Just leave me a comment & I'll pop over to your blog.)
fiveforfriday
 This past week my Kinders have been hard at work making number bonds and transcribing them into number sentences.  They have really grasped onto the concept and have had fun spotting number bonds in our environment!  Here are five things we did this week.

1.  We collaborated to make number bond posters.  The kiddos enjoy working together to make  posters for our Focus Wall.
 2.  We used these super cute work mat and animals from Learning Resources to make number bonds.  (Number card is an oldy-moldy card left over from our Saxon math series.  We use them all the time!)
 3.  Piggy number bonds!  Using tiny pigs to act out part-part-whole is lots of fun!  I have number bond flash cards available on my TpT store.  HERE
 4.  Flipping number bonds.  We flipped ten coins to complete the number bonds: part were heads, part were tails.  This was definitely a noisy activity, but they had lots of fun.  It was cute how excited they got when then got "doubles!"  There is something extra fun when you add the same number twice.  :-)
 5.  Looking for number bonds.  We took advantage of the beautiful weather one day and took a walk.  With "clipboards" (paper secured by a wooden clothespin onto their white boards) in hand, we went out to search for number bonds around the school.  The cars below were perfect:  2 silver cars and 1 blue car make 3 cars!  After we came inside the search continued.  While seated one student exclaimed, "We have a number bond at our table!  Two girls and two boys make four kids!"
I really can count.  Really!  I know this is #6, but I wanted to share the activity we did in our math station this week.  Get your freebie here.



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The kids did, too. When we were done with the lesson I let them play piggies for a few minutes. They thought it was really cool! :-)

      Linda

      Delete
  2. Love piggy anything! I am a follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Do you have a blog? If so, I'd love to check it out.
      Linda

      Delete
  3. I found you at Doodle Bugs' Five for Friday. I've never heard of number bonds but I like it! What a great way to teach that part-part-whole concept. Looks like your kiddos had a blast learning! Thanks for sharing!
    Shibahn
    Mrs. Landry's Land of Learning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of them before we adopted a Singapore method math series. The kids love them! Number bonds kind of replace learning "fact families" - the kids learn their facts through lots of work with various manipulatives. Thanks for visiting!
      Linda
      PS I visited your blog, and am now a follower.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...