Thursday, August 2, 2012

Back to School Work Day 1

It's August.  The Back to School dreams (nightmares?) have arrived!  I recently dreamed that I went into my classroom to find every wall covered with hideous blue noise reducing curtains - and I had to leave them up (it didn't matter that my bulletin boards were covered too!).  I'm not sure what sparked that dream, but yikes!  Maybe it was the blue (nice - not hideous) fabric I purchased for my bulletin boards, or the fact that I've been helping my daughter to set up her first classroom (kindergarten - yay!), and hadn't really stepped foot into mine.  I have gone in a few times to drop off stuff that I'd picked up here and there, but today was my first "official" work day.  Yesterday I made a trip to the school supply store and got new borders to go with my new garden theme.  I am really excited to decorate - I was inspired by Schoolgirl Style's garden theme.  I found cute lanterns and daisy decorations at Party City and will use her Poppin' Patterns border and accents along with some of the gardeny things I have.  Now, all I need to do is to get the furniture in place, unpack stuff that was stored for summer, change out the fabric on a few bulletin boards, etc. 

I snapped a few "before" and "work in progress" pictures.

"Before" view from the door.

Messy counters & tables.  I am going to change out the green fabric on this bulletin board.  I may use it as a table cloth somewhere in the room.
This blue fabric matches that on the board above.  I plan to put this piece where the green is & cover all three of these boards in the light blue fabric I purchased yesterday.
I wonder whose snow boots and sneakers were left behind.
That pocket chart needs a new home!
More disarray!  Those brown bookshelves in the back are literally held together with duct tape! 


Now, for the work in progress...
Manipulative and Puzzle Center (background), wire shelves that will hold something (another one of these will hold the Skill Tubs), and a newly created "Skill Spot" - I need to think of a name for this one...
The Pocket Chart Skill Spot
Library/Literacy Center - with a new purple rug!
Writing Center - the shelves to the right will hold writing materials, and I plan to get some hooks to hang things to the peg board backing of the Manipulative Center cabinet.
Those empty wire shelves again.  The creatively named "Cart Table" Skill Spot, the Dramatic Play area and a homeless shelf.  I need to find a place for this up against something as it is quite tippy.
The Math Center



The Sand Table is on the left.  Last year it was partially on the carpet and gave our poor custodian fits, so I decided to put it totally on the tile this year.  The table in front of the bulletin board will be the Listening Station.

Well, so far so goodish.  I need to think about a few things before I commit to this floor plan.  But, for now I think it's pretty good - and best of all, there are no hideous blue sound proofing curtains anywhere in sight!  :)

2 comments:

  1. How many students inside that good ambiance class room?I mean you can accommodate for about?

    Thanks,
    Sahai from http://lettersfornursery.com/block-letters-for-nursery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our corporation caps kindergarten at 18 students, and this year I will have a full class - 11 boys and 7 girls. My daughter teaches kindergarten in another corporation where the cut off is 28 students! (I really can't complain about a "large" class to her!)
      Linda

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...