Wednesday, February 24, 2016

I Like Tape!

...because it is sticky!

My Kinder team and I use the wonderful Guiding Readers set by DeeDee Wills & Deanna Jump. Click HERE to purchase. If you haven't tried it, you should. Our PTO purchased it for us because we were so disappointed by our adopted series.  We love it! Anyway, enough advertising...

One of the components of a recent lesson on long a included writing a sentence using a word in a sentence. I took a picture of some of my favorites.






You may be wondering why some of the sentences are marked up. They are examples of some of the editing we do. Last summer I got to attend a two day Kristina Smekens literacy retreat. In one sessions she explained how to use color coding to help kids to edit their own writing. I picked three things that I felt were appropriate for Kinders to focus on while writing: spaces between words, capital letter at the beginning, and ending punctuation. We do work on other things, but I figured three skills were enough for my little Kinders. I do think that they are doing a great job! 

I created a freebie set using the color coding edits you can get HERE. I purchased a pack of kid sunglasses at Party City & popped out the lenses. The kids have fun wearing them as they edit. 

"Eye" Can Edit My Writing Poster set


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...