Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Place Value part 2

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we've been working on place value.  It can be a tricky skill to master, and I wanted something more fun and engaging than linking cubes.  (Don't get me wrong, linking cubes are a valuable resource.  But, with such frequent use, they can get kinda boring...)  So, with that in mind, I created my Hoot for Place Value set.  As it turned out, my creative Kinder teacher daughter made a fun place value set, too!  My Kinders had fun using her Base Ten Apples on Top set to continue building understanding of place value.  Check out her blog post here.

I used components of Sarah's cute kit to a create tens & ones pocket chart activity by hanging yarn with paper clips above the kids' heads.  We did the lesson first as a whole group, and now it is part of a Skill Spot for students to use independently.

Drawing tens and ones on the apple worksheet included in the set. 

This is actually a component of my Hoot for Place Value set.  I didn't get these pictures taken in time for the previous post.  Here the Kinders are arranging numbers 60 - 100 in order.  This proved to be a bit of a challenge.  Because it is in the Common Core (K.CC.A.2 Count forward beginning from a given number within the known sequence) , we have been trying to practice the skill frequently.
These Kinders worked well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...