Friday, March 22, 2013

Sunflower House & Seeds

My Kinders are really coming along in their writing.  I am always amazed around this time of year by how much they have grown!  We work with sentences daily.  We begin the day with simple sentences that they copy from the board onto their morning work (purchased from TpT), and work with sentences while reading our morning message.  Many other opportunities to examine and write sentences arise throughout the day.  A few of my little cuties have even written books!  Today one little girl brought in her book "The Big Flower" which she wrote and illustrated.  It was so cute - she had title and dedication pages!  Plus, she gave herself credit as the author/illustrator.  :-) 

Here are some samples of our Sunflower House writing prompt.
This writer wants to have a sleepover with her friends!
How about some cookies and tea in your sunflower house?

~ I would sit down and paint my nails ~


Anyone who uses Treasures will be familiar with this next picture.  (It's from the activity book that goes with unit 8.)  Students selected a picture of how seeds move that they found to be interesting, and wrote about what was happening in the picture.  In keeping with all the CCSS that require students to write about their opinion, I have been trying to incorporate it into our lessons as much as possible.  It is a little difficult to get beyond "Because I like it."  How do you approach this with your students?

"When it is windy the seeds blow away and will grow new flowers."

PS  I have a question that maybe someone can answer for me.  I have received several emails with requests to share my Sunflower House writing prompt.  It may be something simple, but I'm not exactly sure what this means. Does this mean that someone wants to incorporate it into her blog?  If so, I guess I would prefer that someone links back to my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...